Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore spot on neck, wisdom tooth, slight pain.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i have a sore spot on the right side of my neck right under my jaw. when i turn my head up down or to the left it starts to bother me again it also just seemed to be bothering wisdom tooth nothing major just feel a little pain there at times this has only been for the past 2 days. im 24 6'1 190 lbs clean XXXXXXX of health
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later

The pain on the right side of the neck under jaw can be due to an impacted wisdom tooth or infected tooth or a swollen neck gland.

Physical examination is needed for exact conclusion.

Since the pain is felt on the movement of neck, muscle spasm or stiffness also needs to be ruled out.

I suggest you to consult your primary physician for proper examination. Meanwhile take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen and do a hot fomentation of the area for symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Sore spot on neck, wisdom tooth, slight pain. 21 minutes later
the pain is just in one spot say about the size of a dime hurts more if i touch it now the pain could be related to something like a wisdom tooth and nothing major?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

If the pain is limited to just one spot then infection is a likely possibility. Impacted wisdom tooth can also be the cause.

Infection needs systemic antibiotics for treatment which can be prescribed only after an examination.

I can assure you that this does not seem to be a major problem and can be corrected with proper treatment.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.