Sore sensation inside my chest. Diagnosed with high blood pressure and cholesterol. What can be done?

I am a male of 41 years, I am 200lbs, 5ft 10inches in height, I have for a while now been feeling a sore sensation inside my chest. I have recently been diagnosed with High Blood pressure and High cholesterol. I have since changed my diet, drinking habits and am exercising. But the sensation in my chest is causing me some concern. Any ideas or possible diagnosis?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 36 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Sore sensation inside the chest or chest pain can have various causes,

Most common of it is the muscular pain. This pain usually is localized to one point in the chest and is increased by bending, moving etc.There is usually localized tenderness, means the part of the chest is sore to touch .

Acid peptic disease or the acidity can also cause the chest pain, it is mostly burning in nature and is relieved by taking antacids.

In your case, possibility of the cardiac chest pain can not be ruled out, as you are having hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. This pain is exertional in nature and is relieved by rest. Most of the time it is not pin pointed and is diffuse in location.

There are other causes as well, but they are not so common.

I will recommend you to go for at least basic investigation like ECG, stress testing to rule out the cardiac cause.

Please let me know, if you need further information.