Sore roof of mouth, burning sensation. Taking effexor for anxiety, proton pump for acid reflux. Suggest medication

Hi, I am a 44 ys old female. Normal weight. Non smoker, and non drinker. I have an ongoing problem with a sore roof of mouth. It comes on every week or so and stays painful for about 2 days before getting better again. It feels like I burned or scratched it somehow (which I know I did not). It looks 'normal' but is sore and feels a bit raised.
I am on Effexor (75 mill for mild anxiety and depression) and have acid reflux (for which I take proton pump inhibitors )... I've been on these meds for a while now. The sore roof of mouth begun to be an obvious problem about a year ago. I don't have any allergies or sensitivities that I am aware of. The problem does not seem to get better or worse due to any particular food/drink. I don't have very good teeth, but I see the dentist regularly and am very good with cleaning my gums etc (and they are in good shape). My mouth does not feel espec. dry. I am just getting a bit fed up with this. Thanks for your time. Regards, Orlie
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 2 hours later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

From what you describe, it most probably appears to be a simple canker sore.

The reason for such sore could be many like, impaired immune system (frequent infections), nutritional problems, such as vitamin B-12/ zinc/ folic acid/ iron deficiency and certain gastrointestinal diseases.

Canker sores usually heal without treatment in about a week or two.

But, since your sores are persistent (for over an year) i recommend you to visit a physician who may prescribe an antimicrobial mouth rinse, a corticosteroid ointment and analgesics(pain killer) to reduce the pain and irritation. Also your doctor will completely evaluate you for presence of any infections or nutritional deficiencies i have mentioned above.

In addition, the medications which you are currently taking, doesn’t have the potential to cause these sores.

You must also understand that these canker sores are recurrent condition. You will be able to reduce their frequency by following these tips:

Avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, including citrus fruits and acidic vegetables and spicy foods
Avoiding irritation from gum chewing
Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals and flossing daily, which will keep your mouth free of foods that might trigger a sore.

Hope the information was useful. I will be happy to answer any further queries in this regard. If no, kindly close the query & rate it.
Take care,

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD