Sore penis, white growth, puss. Is this serious, advise or treatment?

My two year old has complained of a sore doodle. We pulled it back which he wasnt bothered about but we came across a white 'growth' about 4-5mm long and 2mm wide that we thought would wipe off and be puss but it didnt. he is still complaining that it is sore. have you got any answers on what it could be and do I need to rush to the gp?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later

It's not uncommon to get sore prepuce / penis in toddlers, often due to handling or urinary infection, but at times due to phimosis or even zip injuries.

The white growth you describe is probably due to growth of yeast due to moisture. Pain, increased urine frequency, burning, and poor stream of urine may often be associated.

Most doctors in such situation advice a urine test including urine analysis and culture. If the white growth can be plucked, a microscopy test for fungus may be tried. The treatment surely will be decided by your doctor after the reports, which is likely to consist of a course of antibiotics, at times a local antifungal lotion and a urine alkaliser that may make it painless.

As the situation can be delicate, visit your doctor and get your son tested.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any other concerns, feel free to post them to me; I will be glad to assist you further.