Sore pain along sacrum, difficult to raise onself from forty five degree angle. X-ray showed narrowing spine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi yeah i have a sore agonizing pain right along my sacrum it definitely feels like the muscles and even releases a little when i flex my butt. also it is very difficult to rise myself back up from a forty five degree angle. also to note i have had an xray that shows minor narrowing at l5s1 and also i work in the navy where i am up and down stairs all day
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in,

Seems you are suffering from coccydynia. Is there any history of injury? or landed on butts from height?
Do you have a difficulty while passing stools?

Since there is already L5/S1 narrowing seen on the X-ray, I would suggest you to go for an MRI of Lumbo-sacral spine preceded by a detailed clinical examination by an orthopedic.

Using cushions designed to relieve pressure over coccyx - wedge/doughnut cushions will help you reduce the pain. A course of anti-inflammatory drug might be helpful. Ice fomentation to the part also can be done.

Hope this addresses your concern. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.