Sore nipples, spotting. Had unprotected sex. Taking birth control pill. Could I be pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi. I am worried that I may be pregnant because of a few signs. I am on birth control (tri sprintec) and have taken the pill every day at pretty much the same time. I have been on the pill for about 4 years and have never switched. Two weeks ago I started to get sore nipples. Not the breasts, just the nipples. This lasted for over a week. This saturday (March 30th) I spotted a little light pink but my period did not come. I took my last active pill on Sunday (March 31st). And I'm supposed to start my period in the next day or two. I have had unprotected sex multiple times throughout the month.

I am worried that I may be pregnant because I have never had sore nipples or the spotting I had on Saturday. Is there a chance I could be pregnant, or could these symptoms be from the birth control (I never missed a pill this month and have only missed one pill the past 4 years) (also no other abnormal symptoms). Please help
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Hello

Well, frankly, diagnosing a pregnancy just based on the symptoms of sore nipples is a bit difficult.
Soreness of nipples can be equally caused by each of the following conditions :
1. Early pregnancy.
2. Being on the birth control.
3. Part of the pre menstrual symptoms , that could occur because your period is about to arrive.

Also, the slight spotting also could be indicative of any of the following :
1. An early pregnancy
2. A failing pregnancy
3. An ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus )
4. Erratic spotting and scanty periods , which are very common while on the birth control

As you have been so fastidious about taking your pills, I think we can safely rule out pregnancy.
However, the best of birth control is 99 % effective, that still leaves a 1 % chance of failure.

The only way to know whats going on is to wait for a couple of days.
If you do not have your period within the next 2 - 3 days, please take a home urine pregnancy test.

That would be the most logical and reliable way to deal with this, instead of making guesses based on your symptoms.
Meanwhile, do stay protected ( you could use condoms if not birth control meanwhile ).

Take care,
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.