Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Sore nipples, spotting. Had unprotected sex. Taking birth control pill. Could I be pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5849 Questions
Question
Hi. I am worried that I may be pregnant because of a few signs. I am on birth control (tri sprintec) and have taken the pill every day at pretty much the same time. I have been on the pill for about 4 years and have never switched. Two weeks ago I started to get sore nipples. Not the breasts, just the nipples. This lasted for over a week. This saturday (March 30th) I spotted a little light pink but my period did not come. I took my last active pill on Sunday (March 31st). And I'm supposed to start my period in the next day or two. I have had unprotected sex multiple times throughout the month.

I am worried that I may be pregnant because I have never had sore nipples or the spotting I had on Saturday. Is there a chance I could be pregnant, or could these symptoms be from the birth control (I never missed a pill this month and have only missed one pill the past 4 years) (also no other abnormal symptoms). Please help
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
 
 
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query.

Well, frankly, diagnosing a pregnancy just based on the symptoms of sore nipples is a bit difficult.
Soreness of nipples can be equally caused by each of the following conditions :
1. Early pregnancy.
2. Being on the birth control.
3. Part of the pre menstrual symptoms , that could occur because your period is about to arrive.

Also, the slight spotting also could be indicative of any of the following :
1. An early pregnancy
2. A failing pregnancy
3. An ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus )
4. Erratic spotting and scanty periods , which are very common while on the birth control

As you have been so fastidious about taking your pills, I think we can safely rule out pregnancy.
However, the best of birth control is 99 % effective, that still leaves a 1 % chance of failure.

The only way to know whats going on is to wait for a couple of days.
If you do not have your period within the next 2 - 3 days, please take a home urine pregnancy test.

That would be the most logical and reliable way to deal with this, instead of making guesses based on your symptoms.
Meanwhile, do stay protected ( you could use condoms if not birth control meanwhile ).

Take care,
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor