Sore neck, ear ache, dizziness, pins and needles sensation in head. Low iron. Is it anxiety? Want opinion

Hello. I have been experiencing a very sore neck for the last 5 days plus ear ache and dizziness with some pins and needles sensation up the side of my head. Bloods are all fine except very low iron and blood pressure fine. My doctor has categorised as Anxiety??

Would love your opinion.

Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Stiff neck with tingling and numbness and dizziness with earache is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
The other possible cause can be a middle ear infection.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.