Sore mouth, body rash, swollen neck lymph node. Serious?

My daughter age 24 has the following symptoms - first - mouth sore, full body rash - swollen lymph node on neck. - currently - rash gone - mouth sore gone the first lymph node went down but several others have popped up under her neck and were quite achy but feel better now though still swollen. Does this sound serious?p
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 5 hours later

This might be serious, but these symptoms you have described are nonspecific. This means that they could be caused by any number of conditions unrelated to a serious disease.

For instance, they could be signs of the flu or other viral infection, but in those cases, they would not last very long and your daughter needs to perform anyway at least some minimum investigation. In a serious disease, the symptoms persist over time and cannot be explained by an infection.

At this stage, I would recommend your daughter to perform the standard blood tests, including LDH. Please get back to me as soon you have the results, for further advice.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD