Sore lump below shoulder blade. On medicine for low thyroid level. What could it be?

Sep 2012

I have a small lump about an inch below my shoulder blade on the front side of my right arm. It has been there about 3 or 4 months, just starting to feel sore sometimes. I just had blood work done and dr. said my thyroid levels were low but before he puts me on medication he wants to check it again in a month. Forgot to show him or tell him about the lump because it was not hurting at the time.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

From the description, the lump may be a small lymph node / a lipoma / a neurofibroma / or any other soft tissue lesion.

To differentiate these conditions, you have to be examined clinically. It is very important. Just on the basis of clinical findings, the diagnosis could be made. During examination, size, shape, position, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structures should be noted.

If clinical findings do not indicate any definite possibility, a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) should be considered. It will tell us exactly what it is. Depending upon its nature, the next line of management should be determined.

Right now, you do not have to do anything. Next time when you will go to doctor, you should tell about this. Till then nothing to worry about.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.