Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore like white pimple on inside cheeks. Diagnosed tongue cancer. What can be the reason, oral cancer?

I have a tiny to small sore that looks like a white pimple on the inside of one cheek adjacent to top molars which I noticed yesterday, as it was quite tender. The soreness seems a bit better today, but I still keep feeling that "pimple" (for lack of a better word) with my tongue. I quite often accidentally bite my cheek on that side but don't think I've ever had a resulting sore that is this circular and raised with what seems like almost a "head" on top, in other words what looks almost exactly like a pimple but white in color. (I recently had an acquaintance (a longtime smoker) diagnosed with tongue cancer and the treatment was quite drastic, so being something of a worry wart I am now wondering if I have an oral cancer!!!). Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Given your history of accidental biting of cheek often, this pimple like white bump on the cheek can be a canker sore. Cancer of the mouth is usually painless.

Mouth ulcers or canker sores can be due to stress, eating certain foods like citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables, or nutritional deficiencies like vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid or iron deficiency.

For mouth ulcers, you can follow these treatment methods:

1)     Maintain oral hygiene and avoid spicy or acidic foods like colas, juices etc at this time.

2)     Eat a soft, bland diet to reduce the pain and drink plenty of fluids.

3)     Avoid salty foods, citrus fruits and foods that need chewing.

4)     Drink plenty of fluids to avoid any dehydration.

5)     You can take some vitamin supplements (vitamin B)after consulting your doctor as it will help in improving the symptoms.

6)     You can use numbing ointments, such as benzocaine, anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash and oral preparations of steroids after consulting your doctor.

7)     For soothing effects you can also use over the counter lozenges.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.