Sore legs after walking, have spastic gait. MRI showed arthritis. Now arms affected. No loss of sensation

Neurologist
Question
hi, about 2 months ago my legs got really sore when out walking, over the next week i noticed it was difficult to take a step forward sometimes when out with my dogs then 1 day this stayed with me, i could stand out but had a spastic gait when trying to walk. had an mri on spine head and neck which apart from a little arthritis was ok. sometimes my legs work normally again, sometimes for days, other times for a few seconds. this has spread to my hand and arms i have no other symptoms. both arms and both legs are affected at same time but my fingers and toes work fine and i have no lose of sensation. when they do work again they are perfectly fine with no weakness. i am normally fit and do not smoke
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided to me it looks to me like you have fluctuating generalized stiffness with spastic gait suggests the possibility of involvement of the pyramidal system anywhere from spinal cord to the pyramidal cells of the brain. Other disorders which can present with similar problems are early morning stiffness in arthritis, spondylosis and disorders of the muscle.

My recommendation would be for you to see a Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation to zero down on the considered possibilities. You are likely to benefit from muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medication, and physical therapy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Sore legs after walking, have spastic gait. MRI showed arthritis. Now arms affected. No loss of sensation 1 hour later
thanks for your answer, something that i have noticed is that if my legs or arms are not working and i put pressure against them and try to push aginst it my limbs start working again straight away, sometimes for a short period sometimes longer, this works everytime, does this help with diagnosis
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

From the information provided it does help in narrowing my differential diagnosis. Based on this suspicion may be of a musculoskeletal problem rather than true neurological disease. You need to see a Neurologist to confirm the same.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R