Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore in mouth, painful, prescribed Mox and Fasigyn. Smoker. What should I do if the pain and sore are not under control?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Myself is adult male 37 years. I have a found a sore (infection) inside my mouth. The sore has taken place in the joint muscle of the right jaw between upper and lower teeth. The entire area becomes white and a pimple size blister is seen . That has started on last 26/08/12 and onward. There is a huge pain associated with that sore / ulcer / wound. Moreover, the pain grows during my sleep midnight which normally becomes mild at daytime . I have shown it to my doctor (MBBS., Pediatrician) yesterday (27/8/12) night. He apparently has suggested an oral infection caused by bacteria. He said that generally such ulcer / wound / sore in mouth continues near about 10 days. He therefore has prescribed me the following medicine as follows for 6 days...
1) Mox 500 - 1 cap twice daily x 6days (Before Meal)
2) Tab Fasigyn 500 - 1 tab twice daily x 6 days (After Meal)
3) Derolac - 1 cap twice daily x 6days (After Meal)
4) Hexigel (Chlorhexidine Gluconate gel) oinment - every 4 - 5 hour
5) Mucopain (Benzocaine Gel usp) oinment - After lunch and dinner

The doctor asked me to continue the above medication for 6 days. He assured that by the time the inflammable situation will be comfortable. The lesion and the pain would be relieved. For information, I have the habit of smoking (daily 4 to 5 mild cigarets) and drinks ( twice or thrice in week) which I have stopped due to the problems.
What should i do if the pain and the sore do not come under control?
Please let us know whether the treatment is correct or should I consult with Dentist.
Waiting for your reply.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX

After reading your symptoms and the position of the lesion/ulcer, it seems like a mild infection in the area due to sharp tooth bite or injury due to hard food causing the ulcer. If so, the treatment prescribed by your physician is perfectly alright and your pain and infection should be in control in a couple of days.

I would also like you to do warm saline gargles 3-4 times/day for 7 days as it will help in healing. Smoking should be prohibited completely(atleast for 7-10days) as studies prove that nicotine hampers healing.

If the lesion is due to infection in the tooth then you will have to undergo dental treatment for the same.

I would recommend you to continue with the prescribed medicines and warm saline gargles for a week, which should resolve your problem.

If the pain does not subside, then you must visit your dentist for a thorough check up.

Do let me know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Sore in mouth, painful, prescribed Mox and Fasigyn. Smoker. What should I do if the pain and sore are not under control? 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor,

Please let me know what food I should take during this tenure of medication?

Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 36 minutes later

I would prefer that you take mox500 after meal so that it does not create acidity as a side effect.

You should add XXXXXXX leafy vegetables along with fresh fruits in your meals to boost immunity. Avoid very spicy foods. Rest all is acceptable.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Sore in mouth, painful, prescribed Mox and Fasigyn. Smoker. What should I do if the pain and sore are not under control? 19 hours later

At the day time pains and associated problems do not arise so much. But during sleep at night, I used to feel pain inspite of taking 3 medications (ie mox500, fasigyn & derolac) out of 12.

Could you please explain why the pain arises at night and even during my sleeping!

Looking forward to your kind reply on above.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 24 minutes later

After reading your querry there are two reasons which i can think of.
First: If there is infection in the tooth, the pain sometimes increses at night due to postural change creating increase in pressure resulting in the aforementioned night pain. It can even wake you up from your sleep, in which case a root canal treatment will be carried out after confirming with an xray.

Second: If its just a soft tissue infection due to trauma then maybe due to presence of sharp teeth you end up biting the area hampering healing. This nocturnal grinding is called bruxism.

If the pain does not subside, i strongly recommend you to visit your dentist and get it treated.