Sore in labia, no pain, does not heal, never had sex, no medical history.

I have a little sore that suddenly appeared on my inner labia. It’s been there for 3 months.
It’s small, nearly circular, not XXXXXXX about the same colour as the surrounding tissue (when stretched it’s more red) and it does not hurt. It just doesn’t heal.

I scheduled an appointment with a gynaecologist, but I seriously start to worry and would like some input in advance (since random googling is not doing my nerves any good).

Age 25, 5”6’ and 119 pounds. No medical history.
I never had sex. (I did get fingered once. This was 5 years ago.)
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I would like to reassure you that there is nothing that you need to worry about at present.

The most common causes of labial lumps are:
1. Bartholin cyst - This is located midway on the labia, and protrudes into the vagina. It is formed when the duct of a bartholin's gland (a small gland present on the sides of the vaginal opening) is blocked. This blockage may be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage to the ducts of the gland.

It can be present for months and is felt as painless, hard swelling. If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin abscess and the swelling becomes painful.
It can be left as such if there is no pain or discharge but antibiotics and drainage may be required if infection sets in.

2) Another cause can be folliculitis (infected hair follicles) which can form a small abscess which would typically cause a small, red and painful swelling.

In your case, it seems like a Bartholin cyst.

The final diagnosis can be clinched after an examination. It is good that you are seeing your gynaecologist shortly.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Sore in labia, no pain, does not heal, never had sex, no medical history. 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Mitaly,

Thank you for your quick reply. However, I do not believe the diagnosis to be correct. Which is, I admit, a little hard to make since you can only go by what I tell you.

The wound is located on the inside of my left inner labia. This makes an ingrown hair highly unlikely (as there doesn’t grown any there). Also, I have had these a few times on my leg, so I believe I would be able to recognize them.

As for the Bartholin cyst.. it does not look like a cyst or a swelling. In fact, it’s not protuding at all, it’s more intruding (if the word can be used, as it’s very shallow).
One of the reasons I did not seek any earlier medical advice, besides emberassement and false reassurement (‘never had sex so probably nothing serious’) was that I started doubting if I had somehow injured myself (*) - since it looks like a small scrape/blister with the upper skin off. It just isn’t as red, has no hard border, doesn’t hurt and doesn’t heal (or heals extremely slow - I’m under the impression it gradually became slightly smaller but maybe I’m just seeing things as I would like to see them to see).

(*) However, this seems highly unlikely to me.

I’m really wondering what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

It is very likely that you have a small infection in the skin around the labia. This can happen from time to time as sometimes small amount of bacteria can get underneath the skin and create a tiny infection. This is very similar to a pimple.

I would recommend continuing the use the Neosporin three times per day. In addition, you take a warm soak in the bathtub twice per day for the next couple of days. The warm water will help open the pores in the skin around that area and facilitate the clearing of the infection.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you might require prescription medications.
Till then follow simple hygienic measures.

I hope, this helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wishing you Good health!