Sore hip with pins and needles sensation, hurts while coughing or sneezing, using hot water bottle. Strained muscle or sleep in weird position?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, i have a sore hip. it feels like pins and needles, ie numb, but also sore. it hurts sharply when i cough or sneeze, like a burning paid. it started four days ago. i'm using a hot water bottle to ease the pain, is it just a strained muscle? i've not done anything that would warrant that. only thing i can think that may have caused it is sleeping on it funny.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Your symptoms could be due to muscle or ligament strain or more likely a nerve impingement causing pain and parasthesias. Occasionally in females without or with a history of minimal trauma a fracture or necrosis of the femur head (thigh bone) may give rise to such symptoms.

Nevertheless since its not releived since the past four days, it is advisable that you consult a physician or an orthopaedic surgeon for thorough evaluation and investigation like X-rays
or ultrasound of hip to confirm the diagnosis.

The treatment would depend on the diagnosis.

In case of muscle or any neuropathic cause may require other antiinflammatory medications, immobilisation and physical therapy for better relief.

As of now its not an emergency but do get an appointment with your doctor to be on the safer side.

Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Sore hip with pins and needles sensation, hurts while coughing or sneezing, using hot water bottle. Strained muscle or sleep in weird position? 17 hours later
Why would it be that it hurts when i cough or sneeze? How are my hips related to my lungs? I also get the burning pain when i sit down at an angle, ie getting into the car. but i am able to walk around without much pain.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 30 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

Whenever we cough or sneeze we contract our abdominal muscles and increase the intra abdominal pressure which puts a pressure on the hip joints. So cough may aggravate the pain.

Also there are many muscles surrounding the hip joint and walking and sitting or bending utilize different set of muscle groups and the pain may be related to a particular group of muscles say for example the abductors of hip.

Alternatively the pain could be due to nerve impingement which may be positional.

Pain absent during walking doesn't make the injury less significant and only an examination by the doctor can judge the severity.

Hope I have answered your query.