Sore chest and stomach pain after a fall. Chances of internal bleeding?

Question
fell off my dirt bike yesterday pretty hard landed on my right shoulder lost my breath for about a minute and today this morning my chest is sore and my stoamch muscles arein pain as if i did alot of sit ups should i be worried about internal bleeding i hit pretty hard
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
If more than 24 hours have passed since injury and you are not feeling any acute pain all over the abdomen with rigidity of the abdominal wall with no constipation then internal bleeding is almost ruled out.
The pain you are having is most likely due to a rib fracture.
However it is important to rule out the formation of a hematoma in the muscle or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray chest and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the affected area by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.