Sore, bruised coccyx due to fall, hurts while sitting, pain in legs. How long will it take to heal?

Question
I slipped on the ice two weeks ago and fell directly on my bottom, my coccyx has been very sore since ( dr said it could be bruised or maybe cracked ) it hurts sitting down ( getting up in the worse). if i sit at at the computer or diner table both my legs get severe pins and needles then go numb. my Dr said it would go in while, am bit worried about it. two questions: should I be resting or walking ? and how long might i have the numb legs for
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

This looks like coccydynia due to a coccyx fracture which may be compressing on the underlying nerves and causing the symptoms of pins and needles sensations. The pain is generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1)     Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2)     Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some anti-inflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3)     You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4)     Also eat a high fibre diet to soften stools and avoid constipation. For the pinched nerves, you can eat foods XXXXXXX in vitamin B 12 like fish, poultry or take vitamin B 12 supplements. Pain killers like Ibuprofen are also helpful.
The duration of the numbness would vary from individual to individual and it is difficult to predict a specific duration of the symptoms

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sore, bruised coccyx due to fall, hurts while sitting, pain in legs. How long will it take to heal? 2 hours later
Thank you so much Dr it all makes sense, Could you tell me how long it might take to repair and will i have the pins and needles for how ever long that will be .

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The timespan of treatment of coccydynia depends on the extent of injury to the coccyx and how painful it is. The pins and needle sensations depend on the extent of compression or injury to the nerves.

Usually this resolves with pain killers and lifestyle measures. But sometimes it may persist for months and an alternative treatment option is to directly inject medication into your lower back to help relieve pain may be used.

You can also consult a physiotherapist as physical exercises may also help in relieving the pain.

Regards.