Sore breasts, cramps. Had embryo transfer. Taking crinone, progesterone, oestrogen patch. What do the symptoms indicate?

Mar 2013
Hi there,
I am 9 days post 5 day embryo transfer. I have been having cramps just like af as well as really sore breasts which is unusual for me. I am on crinone 2x a day as well as oral progesteone and oral and estrogen patch. I took a hot days 6 and 7 and both were negative. Can you please explain these symptoms.
Thank you
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
The symptoms could be due to one of the following reasons :
1. The hormonal support being given to you - which includes progesterone and estrogen. Both these hormones cause breast soreness, cramps etc.
2. It could be a very early pregnancy that is causing the symptoms. A HPT is not reliable post IVF to diagnose a pregnancy. You have to go for a blood B HCG value as and when scheduled.
3. It could be because your period is about to start, if you failed to conceive with the IVF.

I think the strongest possibility is that the side effects are due to the hormonal medications being prescribed.
I would ask you to consult your treating Gynecologist and have yourself evaluated.

Take care, and all the best with this cycle.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Follow-up: Sore breasts, cramps. Had embryo transfer. Taking crinone, progesterone, oestrogen patch. What do the symptoms indicate? 4 hours later
Thank you for the reply.
After how many days should the blood test be positive?
Is there anything I can do for the cramps?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
You could take a mild anti spasmodic like Buscopan if the cramps are really troublesome.
The blood test would be positive if you are pregnant in another 3 days.