Sore breast, lumpy feel in breast, tenderness. Have high blood pressure. Scared

Hi my name is XXXXXX I have question to ask I am 43 years of age and my left breast has been sore. I do exersice and i do have lump having a feel of the breast it is a thick lump that is the only way i can describe it and more tender than sore. I do have two children and i breastfead for 12 months with my first and after 12 months of breastfeeding i had to stop because i had a lump it was assessed by a doctor and he managed to reduce the lump and said just keep an eye on it, it was not cancer when i had my second child i did not breastfeed because of having high bloodpressure. My periods are up and down this pain with the bread comes and goes. Hope you can help I'm scared
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Lump in breast is not always a cancer.

There are many other conditions which present as a painful lump in the breast.

The most common amongst is a fibroadenoma, this under the influence of hormones does show fluctuation in the size but it is not cancerous and XXXXXXX .If it is causing discomfort and no regression in the size , it can be excised out with minimal trouble.

The next commonest being mastitis, inflammation of the breast tissue.This can be well treated with antibiotics.

I suggest you to get examined by a Gynaecologist who can ascertain the type of the lump by palpation.Also may order a Mammogram or an FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) to rule out cancer and relieve you from the stress.

Tak Tab Motrin 400 mg after food not more than two per day when ever there is more pain in the lump.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Sore breast, lumpy feel in breast, tenderness. Have high blood pressure. Scared 7 hours later
Thank you for your help my children are 9 and 11 and my 9 year old wants to treat people with cancer when he grows up but i must say it is a large lump and feels uncomfortable. I hope everything is all well.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for writing back.

Its happy to hear that your son has such a great idea for his future.Hope things go as he wishes to.

The size of the lump does is not by any chance is an indicator of cancer.I shall advice you to get the tests, they will solve your problem at once.

Wish you good health.