Sore bluish immovable lump on armpit, skin around armpit is dry. Had rash in the same area in childhood & stuck for long years. Worry?

Hello, I have found a sore immovable lump in my armpit. It's fairly hard, and about the size of a pea. I am 19 years old, and male. Should this worry me? I have had a rash in the same armpit when I was little, and it's stuck around for years. The skin around the armpit is a little dry ever since I got the rash (maybe around age 12). Also, I saw now it's dry right around the bump as well. (A really faint redness, or maybe even a blueish hue, however, this might be imaginary.) It's also almost invisible to the naked eye, but I can feel it with my fingers.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question,

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations’ regarding what is going on.

First of all I would like to reassure you that I do not think what you are feeling is anything worrisome or serious. There are two general possibilities for what is going on.

The first consideration is that you have a small sebaceous cyst in that area. On parts of the body where there are hair follicles sometimes there can be some inflammation at the base of the hair follicle and a collection of sebaceous material which can sometimes form a tiny cyst. These can sometimes be soft inconsistency or quite hard to palpation. These will usually resolve over a number of weeks. It is important not to manipulate the carrier or try to squeeze it as this will cause it to get larger and become more persistent.

The other consideration is that you have a tiny inflamed lymph node. This can sometimes happen where there is irritation of the skin. This part of the body can be quite sensitive and I would encourage you to consider changing the deodorant what you use on a daily basis as this can sometimes contribute to the symptoms.

In addition I would recommend that you wash your armpits every day in the shower to clean away any excessive amounts of deodorant. The deodorant can sometimes caused irritation of the skin overnight. In addition I would recommend that you use a moisturizing cream in that area as well to prevent breakdown of the skin.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Robert