Sore between little toe, applied Lotrimin, painful, prescribed ketoconazole for athlete's feet. Help

Jul 2012

Hello my husband has a sore between his little toe...We have soak it and dried it out with Lotrimin miconazole nitrate powder spray. The spot is white & grey looking with two small holes on each side. He went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago and he told him it was athlete's feet, the medication he gave him to use was ketoconazole cream 2% 60g. I really need help... we no longer have insurance at this time, and he have been dealing with the pain for about 4 months I know... Can someone HELP PLEASE!
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Dont worry. I understand your predicament medical costs being what they are. Not having Insurance in the states can 'kill' you faster than any disease i am told ;-) In your case, the problem is not life threatening & easily remedied. Please stop all creams as they 'wet' the area. The idea is to keep it 'dry' & 'aired'. Scholls has a product called a 'toe-separator' that can be washed, dried & re-used. PLease use it sporadically as one does not want to keep it on for long hours esp at night while sleeping. Also switch to a 1% terbinafine spray called Lamisil & SHOULD BE AVAILABLE over the counter. While bathing, a 2% ketoconazole soap daily left on for 10-15 mts contact will be helpful; otherwise air-dry/blow-dry & keep it as dry as possible; avoid wetting feet & use thick socks to absorb seating if compulsory to wear shoes; if not, open footwear preferable!
In addition, if the pain is persistent, add an oral antibiotic eg. metronidazole 500mg twice/daily along with Ibuprofen 400mg twice/daily for a 10 day to 2 week period together with a single dose of 150mg fluconazole tablet taken once/week for a two week period (2 tablets in all). The latter medications may require a prescription unless the pharmacist is a kind man & responds kindly to this advice from me. Do show him this transcript...perhaps it will reassure him that a medical professional has recommended the same. I do hope this helps (note: all medications i have suggested are generic forms as per this site rules; medications on the ground may bear different names). I will be chuffed if this works out. Do please let me know & would appreciate a feedback on this site. Cheers & Good luck to both of you. Wish you a happy pain-free & 'sore-free' long life together. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore.