Sore anus after bowel movements, bleeding, had sigmoidoscopy. What is the problem?

General Surgeon
Question
I have had a sore anus after every bowel movement for as long as I can remember (last 2 years). It feels like my anus is swollen and there is a purple ring of skin at the opening when I look in the mirror. If I crouch down to look in mirror as if straining the anus appears to puff up like a mushroom and if I touch the area it feels like a raised ring under the skin. It only bleeds if the stool is too large and it tears the anus and so I have bright red blood sometimes. I had a sigmoidoscopy 2 years ago that showed nothing wrong. What could be the problem with me and is there a chance I have anal cancer???? I am stressed out!!! I am currently using suppositories to try and ease any discomfort. When I drank lots of water last week and increased my fibre intake I had no tearing of anus however the purple ring that I can feel raised under the skin will not ever disappear. After a weekend of BBQ's I have had a bowel movement again today and it felt like passing glass. The swollen anus seems to make it hard to pass stools
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Peptic Ulcer

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

After going through your complaints, you probably are suffering from hemorrhoids.

I would recommend you to consult and get yourself examined by a surgeon. You may need to undergo digital rectal examination and proctoscopic examination.

Meanwhile I would advise you to take high fiber diet and stool softeners like lactulose before you go to bed..

I would also like to know the following:
1. Do you feel mucus substance coming out of anus?
2. Have you lost weight?
3. Do you have early morning diarrhea?

Wishing you speedy recovery. Please do write back for more discussion on this.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Sore anus after bowel movements, bleeding, had sigmoidoscopy. What is the problem? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I have always stayed at or around 14 stone for last 4 years or so. I am perhaps a little overweight and my diet is not brilliant. I am also under a lot of stress, could this be a factor also? I am scared to go the doctor as I really feel like I have got cancer. Is there a chance it could be? I know it is hard for you to know 100% without examination. I have no mucous and my bowel habits do not change much but the bumpy ring around anus makes it hard to clean the area very well. I feel like it never goes even after trying prep H and suppositories. Is this normal to stay so long???

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 2 hours later
Hi Moorey
Thanks for writing back.
Its unlikely that stress is contributing to your problem. Also, your condition is benign and you dont seem to have any symptoms suggestive of cancer.

Your problem certainly exaggerates due to poor dietary habits. You should strictly follow high fibre diet routine and stool softeners for some time.
Also, about the ring, it would be difficult to comment on it without an examination. Please see your physician and get an examination done. That would be the most logical next step here.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Sore anus after bowel movements, bleeding, had sigmoidoscopy. What is the problem? 1 hour later
Ok many thanks. Is there a number of conditions it could be though? The Internet tells me I have cancer every time I search the symptoms!!!!

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 16 minutes later
Hi Moorey

Yes, it can be something else as well. However, most likely it will be only haemorrhoids. It will be best if you get examined by a surgeon to rule out other causes.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Rajat Gupta