Sore and tender spot on breast with discoloration. Blood report normal for autoimmune problems and rheumatoid factors

43 year old female very sore and tender spot on left breast near nipple but not on it. regular periods, not pregnant, day 7 menstrual cycle. problem is the pain associated wtih what looks like skin inflammation (looks like cellulitis) - red shading to purple with uneven skin texture. sudden onset (was unaware of symptoms last night) experienced tenderness under the armpit this morning noticed swollen skin this evening. other potentially relevant details - normal bloodwork in Feb including test for rheumatoid factors (family history of autoimmune problems), had similar swollen skin on finger last week and it's been clearing up with the use of fucidin - skin on finger was tight and purple and swollen. breast skin is not tight like that (I'm 43) - just want to determine how fast this needs medical attention.
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thank you for the question.

I have gone through the details with diligence.

It appears that there is some inflammation happening at the site of soreness and redness.
Do you feel any breast lump underneath this inflamed skin?
Whether or not you have any discharge from the breast?

Please use your finger to palpate your breast and try to evaluate if there is any lump associated with these symptoms.

Please provide the aforementioned details so that I can answer your question in better way.

Awaiting your reply