Sore and splotchy throat. Taking Azithromycin. Allergic to bactrim and motrim. Cure?

I've been taking Azithromycin 500 mg for 5 days (last one being today). The roof of my mouth and back of my throat have become very very sore and splotches. What should I do?
I am 50 years old, have had allergic reactions to bactrim and motrim.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Azithromycin is a well tolerated drug. Normally there is no sensitivity to this drug, means you can take it as per advise though you are sensitive to sulfa group of drugs.

The problem that you are having doesn't seem to be related with with this drug.

There could be some other reasons for your problem, the most common possibilities are

1. Stomatitis(means inflammation of skin inside mouth)-may be due to some food or drink.

2. Infection in throat it self.

It is important to have diagnosis first. Please do the following,

1. Take more of liquids. Have more of fruit juices and soups etc.
2. Avoid taking very hot foods and one with spices.
3. Please avoid tobacco in any form.
4. Start taking tablets of Folic acid 2 times in day.

Apart from this you need proper evaluation by ENT Specialist, so that appropriate treatment can be initiated.

You might need some vitamin supplements like B-complex and Folic acid and some antibiotics for this if your doctor feels so.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.