Sore and dry throat, bruise behind ears, headache. What causes this, advise?

I have had a sore throat for 5 days now. no runny nose or cough. my throat feels extremely dry. Today i noticed bruising behind both oof my ears. i have had a headache most days I am not running a fever. What is causing my bruising and sore throat. Oh my neck was swollen for three days but has gone down.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I have read the history provided. Your symptoms are suggestive of infection of pharynx or tonsils. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause Mononucleosis (mono) and the Flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.

The headaches that you are having can be due to sinus congestion which occur in sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus.

It drips down on the back of the throat which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness due to sinus headaches.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.