Sonography showed fatty liver. How can I lower triglyceride levels?

How can I lower my triglyceride levels which is 287 now i need to bring it to normal level of 150 as i need to do my company medicals in one weeks time
also my sgpt level is 60 .
i did sonography report it showed fatty liver
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 16 hours later
Thanks for writing in. That is a incomplete question. Any drug like statin can decrease your triglyceride along with diet control but your PT level is of concern. What is normal value of the lab where this test was done?
I am qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence. Please provide the following information:
1. How old are you? How much you weigh and what is your height?
2. Are you taking any drugs?
3. Do you take alcohol?
4. If you have complete lipidogram report and complete liver function tests report including SGOT and Alkaline Phosphatase; please enclose that?

After hearing from you I will be able to answer your question at the soonest.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Sonography showed fatty liver. How can I lower triglyceride levels? 3 hours later
age : 35 yrs weight 69.5 kg height 5.11
yes finolip 145mg (i tablet daily ) and nirocil tablet (1 tablet twice daily )
yes only wine
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing back. Glad to see that all other components are normal so with diet and life style changes without taking the risk of drugs like fenofibrates or statins one can lower triglycerides.

Diet and lifestyle changes are the first steps you will take to lower triglyceride levels. These include:
Staying at a healthy weight or reducing calories to maintain weight in your case. Do not gain weight.
Limiting the amount of carbohydrate and unhealthy fat that you eat.
Being more active.
Limiting alcohol. Any thing more than a glass of red wine (or one and half of white wine) is excess.
Not smoking.
Keeping blood sugar in a target range if you have diabetes.
Adding fish oils (omega-3 fatty acids) to your diet may lower triglyceride levels. You can add fish oil by eating fish at least 2 times a week or by taking supplements. Oily fish with lots of omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, tuna, and mackerel.

To reduce carbohydrate in your diet, you may want to learn about the amount of carbohydrate in various foods.

Alcohol has a particularly strong effect on triglycerides. Regular, excessive use of alcohol or even a one-time drinking binge can cause a significant increase in triglycerides. Binge drinking can cause a spike in your triglycerides that may trigger pancreatitis. Your doctor will want you either to stop or to limit the amount of alcohol you drink.

Before you increase your activity, check with your doctor to be sure it is safe. You may also want to talk with a dietitian to design a nutrition program that is right for you.

Your doctor will also look for anything else that might be causing your high triglycerides, such as hypothyroidism, poorly controlled diabetes, kidney disease may increase your triglyceride level.
Medicines containing omega-3-fatty acids:
You can get omega-3 fatty acids from eating oily fish like salmon or tuna. But this medicine is a highly concentrated form of omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower triglyceride levels. This medicine is used in combination with diet and lifestyle changes for high triglycerides. This medicine may raise LDL cholesterol levels slightly, so your doctor may closely watch your cholesterol levels if you take Lovaza.

With Best Wishes if you have any specific question I will be very happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover
Follow-up: Sonography showed fatty liver. How can I lower triglyceride levels? 4 hours later
Hello Doctor ,
i have been taking finolip 145 mg and nirocil tablets after i was diagonsed with high triglceride .
my question is i have to undergo my company medicals for which i want to know what medication should i take so my triglyceride level will be normal in one weeks time
please advise
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Please try to understand.
Taking increased dose of drug or for that matter drug carries inherent risk of deranging your liver functions. If you stop taking all fats except omega 3 fatty acids and all carbohydrates for one week one can achieve the result without risking damage to your liver.

No one will suggest that you take Fenofibrate 145 mg + 20 mg Rosuvastatin which normally would have achieved the same result. At least I am not prescribing this.

The thing which goes without saying is keep off alcohol and do enough exercise.

With Warm Regards.

Dr Anil Grover