Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion?

Question
My wife had a sonogram and he doctor told her that her uterus is 8 weeks developed and the "life" inside is 5 weeks developed which results in a high risk for abortion. What can happen from this?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 13 minutes later

There can be difference between clinical examination and USG finding. There are called normal variations.
As long as baby's heart beat is normal, you need not worry.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask if need further clarification. I will be happy to help.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 6 minutes later
That is what I told her. I am not a doctor, but I read that it does not matter, as long as the heart beat if good. She, unfortunately, took some ulcer medication that her friend advised her to take to abort the child. I am totally against this, but she took them anyway-A man's opinion is looked over in these situations. No matter what the facts are. What will happen now? Her friend told her that that is what she took [ulcer medication] to abort her pregnancy. So, what can come of this, now?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 5 minutes later

Usually ulcer medications will not cause abortion or any damage to fetus.
Could you please specify which medication and how many tablets did she take?

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 1 minute later
She wont tell me but I saw a little bit of the box...Cy-something. She took 5 pills, she confessed.5 pills in a ten minute period, or something.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 34 minutes later

It is cytotec contains misiprostol.
These tablets are given to induce abortion.

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 2 minutes later
i knew it...geez. so now what are the risks? Because, she said she took 5, I assume she took like ten.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 minute later
Its better to induce abortion.
Its risky to continue the pregnancy as these drugs cause damage to fetus.

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 19 minutes later
Are you serious?! Is that the only option? Or, would there be to much risk of birth defects, if I convince her of continuing the pregnancy? We, live in Mexico and there is no option to abort. I am speechless. So, I will take her to the gynecologist tomorrow and see what they can help with. I cannot believe this happened. Is there anything else I should know? What are the risks if she continues the pregnancy? Her body won't self-abort will it? I hope not!

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later

There are chances of birth defects.
If you plan to continue with the pregnancy, it will be on your own risk.
Sometimes, it can also abort by itself if damage is more.
Kindly discuss with the Gynecologist at Mexico about the options available and take appropriate decision.

regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 44 minutes later
So, the best thing to do would be to terminate the pregnancy, then? I, feel horrible. I will definitely take my wife ASAP. Thank you, doctor. And, how do we know if the pregnancy will terminate itself? Should we wait? Or, just go to the gynecologist? That is the best option, then. Isn't it?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 20 minutes later

You can wait for 2 more weeks for the process of abortion to start by itself.
Its always better to take your Gynecologist opinion and proceed accordingly.

Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Sonogram showed difference between uterus and foetus development. Risk for abortion? 3 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. Your words have been of great importance to me, and has brought light to my wife's decision to take action before going to her gynecologist. I knew she was overreacting. Now, things have gotten so much worse. Thanks, again.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 53 minutes later
My best wishes to you and your wife.
regards,
Dr Nilofer