Son taking melatonin for sleep. Thinking to give Mindsoothe Junior. Would they interact safely?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
My son 12 year old son takes 2mg of melatonin at night for sleep and it works wonderfully. I was thinking of also giving him a product called Mindsoothe Junior which contains St John's Wort and passionflower. Would they interact safely?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They have no adverse interactions

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting on this forum,

Those two products or drugs would not interact adversely with each other. Mindsoothe Jr. is a natural remedy relieves depression in Children. Most natural remedies hardly contain any active chemical substances that can interact with other chemicals since they occur naturally and are taken as supplements.
In the actual fact, there are no documented evidence that these two interact with each other and so can be used safely together. How ever, like in most medications, when introducing for the first time, you should watch out for any undesirable effects (but I hardly think there is any with Mindsoothe Jr.).

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Son taking melatonin for sleep. Thinking to give Mindsoothe Junior. Would they interact safely? 6 minutes later
Just to confirm, the two products that we are talking about is Mindsoothe Junior and melatonin, correct?

Just confirming that I was not concerned about the two ingredients in Mindsoothe Junior, but the interaction between Mindsoothe Junior and melatonin.
Thank you again,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Yes I am actually talking about the products or brand name Mindsoothe Jr. and its interaction with melatonin. Actually, I was talking about the two ingredients in Mindsoothe Jr. and their interactions with melatonin. It is safe to take both products.

Hope this is clear and helpful.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Son taking melatonin for sleep. Thinking to give Mindsoothe Junior. Would they interact safely? 2 minutes later
Thank you so very much!

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah