Sometimes have a hard time burping, What could be the reason?

General Surgeon
I sometimes have a hard time burping, why?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Burping can appear due to increased air swallowing (aerophagia). This condition is caused by fast eating, chewing gum, loose dentures, drinking carbonated drinks, stress/anxiety.
Fatty foods, spicy foods, lack of physical activity and overweight are not helping with digestion for sure and can give many symptoms including burping.

Burping can be also a first symptom of stomach or esophagus disease. It can be peptic ulcer, stomach or esophagus inflammation, hiatus hernia. Sometimes a cancer can give such symptom as well. That is why it should not be ignored.

I suggest you to change your diet. Eliminate soft drinks, avoid coffee, fatty foods, spicy foods. Add probiotic to your diet (can be even yogurt). You should also visit your doctor and get scheduled for gastroscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Sometimes have a hard time burping, What could be the reason? 10 hours later
I had an upper GI barium swallowed and small bowel test and all came back normal. If there was a chance for a cancer, would the test have found it?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Barium swallow is quite ancient test (however very good one).
In this test you can see stomach erosion (like big ulcers) and large tumors. But you are not able to see the surface of the stomach.
So it is not possible to diagnose an inflammation or early stages of the cancer. The samples can not be collected for histopathology and Helicobacter Pylori infection can not be tested.
That is why, nowadays, gastroscopy is the best test for stomach diagnostics. I suggest you to have it done.