Ask a Dentist   »  

Some dental work done. Started suffering from burning and throbbing sensation. Is there anything that can be done?

5 years ago I underwent some dental work that called for alot of injections. Since then I have suffered from a burning, sometimes throbbing sensation on the left side of my tongue. No physician, dentist, oral surgeon or neurologist has been able to help me. I believe I suffer from lingual nerve damage. Do I have to live like this the rest of my life? Orabase helps deaden the pain for about 10 minutes or so, but nothing else works with the discomfort. Is there anything that can be done?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 51 minutes later

Lingual nerve injury or damage can result in numb tongue, tingling, or pain and burning in the tongue and inner mucosa of the mouth. It can be associated with tooth extraction of the wisdom teeth or dental anaesthetic injection (nerve block) for fillings and crowns.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

Surgery is often used with success to treat lingual nerve injuries from trauma or tooth extraction. The literature indicates good results from early intervention. Though conservative treatment are not know to be very effective drugs like pain killers, capsaicin candies, gum chewing, topical Lidocaine can be tried. They are helpful in some cases.

I would suggest you to try the aforementioned drugs and see if you respond to them. However if you do not find them effective, consult oral surgeon who has significant experience in this type of surgery, as you want the best chance for a good outcome or complete cure. A local oral surgeon may be able to refer you to a surgeon who has expertise in this area.

Hope I have provided the information you needed. Let me know if you need any other information.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Some dental work done. Started suffering from burning and throbbing sensation. Is there anything that can be done? 9 hours later
Is there any chance this condition will go away on it's own? It's been almost 5 years now. There are times I think I will go crazy from it.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The incidence of injury varies in the literature from 1:30,000 up to 1:850,000 so it is such a rare event in the first place. It is very difficult to predict the chances of spontaneous recovery and in your case it is chronic symptom.

So again I advice you to see a oral surgeon for help.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.

Wish you good health.