Ask a Dentist   »  

Solution for bad breath problem, scar tissue from duodenal ulcer

I am 75 years old, male, 5 ft 6 inch tall, weight 160 lb. I am in good health, other than having suffered from bad breath since about 10 years of age. My dentist and ENT doctor say everything is clear. About 30 years ago my (then) family doctor told me that there was some scar tissue from a duodenal ulcer. I am desperate to find a solution. Although I myself cannot detect my bad breath, I can say without exaggeration that I am afraid to exhale in a crowded elevator, for example. I hope you have some solid suggestion for me about how to proceed. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Halitosis or bad breath is not an uncommon problem. While you mention the healed ulcer as a possible cause we cannot ignore dental hygiene as well. Having excellent dental hygiene will also facilitate good breath. In addition to brushing and flossing regularly I suggest you also scrape and brush your tongue as well. This helps remove some bacteria which can contribute to the halitosis.

In addition you could take an acid suppressing medication such as prilosec which - in limiting acid production - could also facilitate good breath.

Finally I suggest you chew a sugarless gum during the day. This will not only freshen your breath but will also keep your mouth moist. A dry mouth is a breeding ground for bad smelling bacteria which is why I recommend the gum.

I hope this information as well as my suggestions have been adequate and informative. I am available for your followups.

Dr. Robert.
Follow-up: Solution for bad breath problem, scar tissue from duodenal ulcer 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. I already practice good oral hygiene. Everything that you have mentioned above. That is why I suspect that the source of the problem is my stomach. The questions I have are:
1. Can/should I take Prilosec on an on-going basis, or is there a time-limit?
2. Is it possible/likely that there is some new ulcer that is causing the problem, with no other symptoms?
Thanks again.
K. XXXXXXX Rabindran
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hi again,

Good to hear from you again.

I would doubt that there is a new ulcer but it is possible that you have some irritation of the lining of the stomach and small intestine which maybe making your symptoms more prevalent.

Prilosec is safe to take over a long term - I have many patients who are on it for over 5 years. And as per there is no time limit mentioned.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.