Sole of foot is painful, cannot put pressure on it. Walking eases up but still in pain. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
The sole of my foot has so much pain I can hardly put pressure on it. Just the sole of the foot. If I force myself to walk on it, it does ease up. But one I've rested/elevated it...the pain is back
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most propably, it is due to PLANTAR FASCITIS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The typical nature of symptoms in your description is highly suggestive of Plantar fascitis (which means inflammation in the fascia of the heel from where it arises).

The pain associated with plantar fascitis Is triggered by and is worst with the first few steps after awakening, although it can also be triggered by long periods of standing or getting up from a seated position.

Though this condition is benign, recurrences after treatment is very common.

The treatment of this condition is as follows -

* Relative rest and simple massage of the foot along with stretching exercises
* Judicious use of analgesic antiinflammatory medicines like Advil or Aleve will help in reducing the pain and inflammation
* Night splints may be useful to keep the foot in plantigrade position
* Use of MCR (micronised rubber) or silicon heels in the foot wear
* Maintaining appropriate body weight (if you are obese) so as to reduce the load bearing on the heels during standing position
* At times a single injection of corticosteroid in to the area of maximum pain will provide good pain relief for prolonged periods of time.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further