Soft,itchy spot on back of head,bleeds when touched since 10 days

My husband has a soft itchy spot on the back of his head that bleeds alot, it has been going on for about 10days now. When you touch it it just starts to bleed. He is 39, 90kg, Height 178

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 3 hours later

An itchy spot on the back of the head could mean a fungal infection (tinea capitis) which could bleed due to constant itching making the tissue to break down and cause bleeding on touch.

The other cause could be a hair follicle infection called folliculitis which very rarely causes bleeding.

I suggest he sees a dermatologist for the same .He may need a course of anti fungal topical and systemic medicines and antihistaminics for the itching to subside.

In addition to this, his blood sugar has to be checked for diabetes as it is most commonly associated with fungal infections , complete blood counts and coagulation profile must also be checked for other causes.Seborrhoeic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc could be the other causes.

Hope I answered your query,I would be available for follow ups as well.