Soft stool in left in rectum after bowels. Normal colon scan, Crohn's, celiac. Is it normal ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i seem to always have stool in my rectum. I have had some problems with indigestion and gas but that has disappeared after taking probiotics. I now find that either I still have some soft stool left in my rectum after a bowel movement and i can not eliminate that, or I will have a complete bowel movement and then an hour or so later will have soft stool in my rectum that I can not eliminate. I have had a normal colon scan and tested for crohns and celiac. I was on antibiotics but did not see a marked improvement.

Is it normal to have stool in your rectum but not have the urge to eliminate
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The sensation of incomplete evacuation after a bowel movement is commonly associated with constipation or gas formation. It is normal finding to have it once in a while and as such is not indicative of any pathology. In your case, an irritable bowel seems to be a more likely cause.
For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine. Taking plenty of fluids will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.