Soft painless movable lump on the pelvic bone. Chances of kidney tumor?

I just noticed a soft movable lump next to my lower spine on the left side,at the top of my pelvic bone it is not really painful to the touch but a little uncomfortable. Is this something I should be concerned about. Are kidney tumors hard and stationary?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

A soft lump which slips under your finger is most likely to be a lipoma. Which is nothing but a small collection of fat cells. Lipomas can arise anywhere in the body and are usually harmless.

To know the exact content of the lump one has to do a fine needle aspiration and cytology (nothing but inserting a small syringe and drawing the cells to see under a microscope). Since it is causing you discomfort I would like you to XXXXXXX a general surgeon for a physical exam and evaluation

Kidney is a retro peritoneal (deep inside the abdomen) structure and unless the tumor is significantly large in size one cannot feel the mass. Kidney tumors are usually large, hard and slightly mobile.Patient will present with blood in urine and also severe flank pain radiating to the groin. This is not a possibility in you.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good health