Soft narrow bulge on lower left rib cage similar to swollen muscle under skin, did weight lifting. What?

I have had a soft narrow bulge on the lower left side of my rib cage. It is soft and it feels like a swollen muscle underneath the skin. I have no pain or discomfort. I did some weight lifting a few days ago some maybe I overdid it. Can you tell me what this might be?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Given your history that the lump is soft, it looks like a swollen muscle after weight lifting. The other possibility is of a swollen lymph node or a lipoma.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen after consulting your doctor.

Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Did you have any recent bacterial or viral infection?

The swollen lump should be better with the anti inflammatory drugs. If it persists then you need to get a MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of the area or a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump done.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as to what is causing the lump.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.