Soft movable lump under the rib cage. Normal abdominal ultrasound. What is the cause for this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
A small lump in the extreme right side below rib cage, which is very soft and movable. abdominal ultrasound normal. what may be the cause of the lump?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
A small painless soft lump near the rib cage with a normal ultrasound scan is suggestive of a skin or subcutaneous tissue swelling. It can possibly be due to-
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A superficial lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Soft movable lump under the rib cage. Normal abdominal ultrasound. What is the cause for this? 4 hours later
can it be a possible hernia?
and in addition this was present for over a year now without any pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Hernia is not likely at the site described by you unless there is a surgical scar present.
Since the swelling is painless, it is more likely to be a lipoma or a fibroma- a benign swelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.