Soft lump near armpit, not sore, pins and needles pain. Had lypoma removal. What specialist should I see?

Question
Hello. I noticed a small, soft lump on the back of my arm, near the armpit, last July. I noticed it because that area was sore...not just the lump but the whole area which at times radiated down my arm. From July (7-15-11) to now (3-11-12) I have asked several doctors to both feel the knot and explained my symptoms which are: pins and needles pain, radiating pain, dull or aching pain. It never really goes away. I've had no injuries, no disease and no other health problems. I am a 40 yr. old female. As of the last few weeks, I've now noticed at least one more knot that is painful and feels like a bruised area if touched though there is no bruising and again, no injuries.
My two MD's have both just passed this off as a lypoma tumor as has a vericous vein dr. and plastic surgeon. I have had two other lypomas removed on the same side of my body, one on the lower part of my arm, near my wrist and one on my side ribcage/breast area.
These really don't think these are lypomas. I have no idea what kind of Dr. to see. I really feel like I need a specialist that can look into the tissue in the back of my arm. Please advise.
My other issues that I was thinking were unrelated are extreme tiredness at times, upset stomach and bowels and headaches. Again, I've always been very healthy, active. I'm 5'4" and weigh @ 145.
Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for this lump.

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:

1)     It can be a swollen lymph node since you have a history of Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy. Since there is a history of faigue and upset stomach, so any infection needs to be ruled out.

4)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases. It is usually painless but can cause pain when infected and even pins and needles sensations when pressing on the underlying nerves.

5)     Third possibility is of any benign tumor like a lipoma and since you are having a history of previous lipomas, this needs evaluation.

Apply warm compresses and get it evaluated from a physician.

However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Soft lump near armpit, not sore, pins and needles pain. Had lypoma removal. What specialist should I see? 6 hours later
This answer is totally unhelpful. I have never had a uti. Also, these knots are down inside my arm, not on the surface. ??? Apply warm compresses? Are you serious? I've had the knot(s) for 9 months...they're not cysts or any skin condition either.

I need a serious answer.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing back and giving the additional details. I could correct few suggestions.

If the knot like lumps are on the inner side of the arm close to the armpit, then it can be lipomas or hidradenitis suppurativa. It develops when the oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicle openings become blocked with fluid, dead skin cells and other debris from apocrine glands.

It's not known why this blockage occurs, but a number of predisposing factors are present. These include gender (more in females), excessive sweating, hormonal changes in body, bacterial infection and it has been found to be linked with other auto-immune conditions.

Discuss these two possibilities with your doctor and get a FNAB done which can confirm the diagnosis.

Regards.