Soft fleshy small bumps, inside buttocks, no bleeding, on citolopram for anxiety, chronic menopause. Causes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I noticed when i showered i had a soft fleshy teardrop shape lump just inside my bottom, no bleeding any ideas?I am 57 ,a woman 12st approx and only complaints are mainly due to the menopause
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later

Thanks for the posting the query.

I would like to know some more things to guide you better.

1. Is the fleshy lump from the anus?
2. Does the mass go back on pushing it in with a finger?
3. Any pain or difficulty on passing stool?
4. Any post-menopausal vaginal bleeding?
5. What medications are you on?

According to your history, it appears that you could be having mass from anus most probably a haemorrhoid which is a dilated anal vein. It can be caused due to variety of causes but most commonly due to bad diet habits and constipation.

Try to avoid fatty, high carbohydrate meals. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and drink plenty of water as they increase stool bulk and prevent constipation which may help in reducing the mass. In some cases if the haemorrhoid is more severe you may get it treated by Surgeon by sclerotherapy or other surgical methods.

It is advisable that you get yourself a complete checkup from your Doctor to look for the causes of this anal mass and decide proper management.

I hope I have answered your query.

Waiting for your reply with the answers to my questions.

Follow-up: Soft fleshy small bumps, inside buttocks, no bleeding, on citolopram for anxiety, chronic menopause. Causes ? 2 hours later
thank you for your answer,I can feel the lump just inside in the centre ,i do not have any problems going to the toilet and yes i can push it in with my finger, at present i take citolopram [20mg] for anxiety due to stress
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 minutes later

Thanks for your swift answer.

The mass is probably not related directly to the medication.

Just have a high fibre diet; Drink plenty of water; reduce the intake of red meat; avoid high fat diet. If you have hard stools, you can have 2 tablespoons of Ispaghulla husk in a glass of warm water to have smooth soft stools which will relieve pressure and possibly reduce a haemorrhoid.

I encourage you to consult a surgeon to ascertain the cause and to formulate a proper plan of management. Exercise everyday. Stay stress free. Add Yoga into your regimen.

These measures should help in relieving the symptoms as well as improve your health.

Hope this helps.