Soft and small fecal matter with foul odor and mucous. What is wrong?

I have had very short stools very soft every time I eat .very intense pain to go the bathroom.It continues until I finally get cramps with a lot of mucus with blood,very fowl Oder with this.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Intestinal disorder symptoms Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I understand your presentation can be quite frustrating and uncomfortable for you ma'am. I am here to help and shall explain what your symptoms could indicate. In my opinion, the most likely cause could be an abnormality of the intestinal tract. Let me explain this by explaining each symptom. Any abnormality of the digestive tract results in soft and small fecal matter (which is seen in your case). But although your stool is soft, you still experience pain while passing it out, which should only be present if your stool is either hard, or if the passage has been affected with disease; which means your intestine could be inflamed which is making it difficult to pass the stool out. The presence of a foul odor and the mucous are both signs of an intestinal abnormality again, due to improper functioning. In my opinion, the most likely cause could be irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and a few others. If you do not mind me asking, I would also like to know what the indication for the colonoscopy conducted earlier was? And, a repeat colonoscopy would do us good, from the diagnostic point of view. In the meantime, please see if there is food that aggravates your condition (eg. Tea, coffee, caffeine, sugar containing drinks, carbonated drinks, popcorn, oily/fatty/fried food, chocolates, dairy products, gluten products, alcohol, etc.) and avoid it. I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes ma'am.
Follow-up: Soft and small fecal matter with foul odor and mucous. What is wrong? 17 minutes later
I had my last colonoscopy 15 yrs ago,Ithink they said at that time I had diva .willthis go away on its own or reoccur? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diverticulitis could very well be the cause Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am. Thank you for that valuable piece of information. Incidentally, diverticulitis can also cause the aforementioned symptoms, which is why it might be in your best interest to repeat a colonoscopy ma'am. This will surely confirm the cause, whether diverticulitis or some other pathology. Please do schedule a repeat colonoscopy at the earliest with your doctor. Wishing you nothing but the best of health. Please do feel free to keep me informed or write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.