Social smoker and drink alcohol. have had sore throat, phlegm, coughing and ear popping. Cause?

ENT Specialist
I am 42, social smoker for the last 7 years (5-8 per week), I do drink 1-2 drinks per day. For about 3 weeks now I have had a slight sore throat, Phlegm in mornings, clearing of throat all day, sparse coughing, ears stopped up but will pop frequently, allergies do bother me all year....etc. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PND, Perennial Rhinitis, Sinusitis, ETD, Reflux.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These symptoms seem to indicate a Post Nasal Drip (PND).

2. A trial of medication for allergic rhinitis may help. Effective treatment will include an anti-histamine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and steam inhalation.

3. Examination of the nose throat and ears will help. Any nasal structure problem, sinusitis, lymphoid hypertrophy, acid reflux, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) and allergy will show specific signs. Additional medication may be added by your physician accordingly.

4. Investigations may be required if there is no satisfactory response to the medical management . This would include blood tests, endoscopy, imaging and audiometry.

5. It is a good time to curtail the exposure to tobacco and alcohol.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.