Sneezing, sore throat and pain, no cold. Reason for pain?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I sneezed three days ago and felt a pop in my throat and have had pain/sore throat since then. I dont have allergies or a cold but I am concerned about what may have happened and what's causing the pain. Any ideas? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 26 minutes later

Sneezing is a forceful expulsion of air through the nasopharynx , i.e. the pathway from your vocal cords in throat to nose.During forceful sneezing if there is any sudden impact due to pressure on the soft tissues , it may cause pain or pricking sensation or foreign body like feeling .But this is temporary and should resolve on its own.

If you have no swelling , no bleeding no discharge ,then you need not worry.

Try to do warm salt water gargles four times a day for relief.

But if it persists for more than a week or the pain increases or affects your food intake then it would be advisable to consult an Ear Nose Throat (ENT) surgeon .He can examine your nose and throat thoroughly and rule out any cartilage tissue injury or abrasions which would be a rare possibility.

But as of now you need not worry .

The pop you heard could be just because of forceful passage of air through narrow soft tissue openings of the nasopharynx.

I hope I have answered your query.
I ll be available for any follow up queries.