Sneezing on change in temperature. Solution?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi My wife is having a sneezing problem. Whenever we used to run Air conditioner or whenever room temprature get increased or decreasd she started sneezing.. plz gide with a solution.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Repeated bouts of sneezing on changing the room temperature may be due to the nasal congestion caused by the changed temperature which triggers the sneezing. Allergic component may also be responsible.

There are some general measures that can help you in reducing the problem-
1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2. Start antiallergics in combination with antiinflammatory agent like Montelukast before the onset of first signs and symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your ENT specialist.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking. Drink plenty of fluids.
4. Whenever symptoms appear, take steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering her with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6. Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage. These can also be prescribed by your ENT specialist.
7. Use a humidifier in your room.

You must keep it in mind that such disorders need extreme vigilance and timely treatment on the appearance of first symptoms.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.