Sneezing, cold, watery eyes. Blood and eosinophilia tests normal. Taken anti-allergy medication. Permanent cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi Doc - i am a 36 yrs' old man, height 5' 9" weight 64 kgs. Started suffering from cold & running nose since last 1 year. Never had this kind of problem in my past. Initially, frequency was low, but now-a-days, it has increased to 3-4 times a week. I catch cold all of a sudden, with multiple heavy sneezing, running nose and watery eyes. One of the nasal packges gets blocked. It becomes difficult to sit. Trigger could be anything - walking bare-foot on cold floor, wet-hair, temp. change (AC / non-AC), or just anything. Doctors have told it is allergic. Blood & eosinophoelia tests were normal. Have also taken anti-allergy doses quite a few times. It does not help in the long run. What do i do ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

You do suffer from classical symptoms of allergic Rhinitis and the treatment taken seems appropriate.

But since it is so frequently recurring, some the next steps would be,

1. To rule out other possibilities like deviated nasal sputum, hypertrophy of nasal turbinates, etc.
2. To see if steroid nasal sprays are effective in controlling the symptoms.

This can only be done if you get yourself examined by an ENT surgeon.

He can rule out any nasal problem by clinical examination and if required investigations like x-rays.

If allergic condition is confirmed after excluding other possibilities, then he can start appropriate treatment like steroids if indicated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.