Sneezing and coughing. Have trouble swallowing. Should I go to doctor?

Dec 2012

I half sneezed and coughed today, and my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is sore and it is very difficult to swallow. I must add that lately I've had trouble swallowing without really chewing. Almost like a hernia. Should I go to an entire, or wait it out?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description you might be suffering from strep throat or pharyngitis which is usually caused by the bacteria streptococcus. You will require a course of antibiotics such as amoxicillin + clavulinic acid in order to get rid of that.
Pharyngitis at times is caused by a viral infection (given that you mentioned sneezing and coughing), then it is a likely possibility and if that be the case, you can just allow the infection to run it course. You may try warm salt water or betadine gargles to give you some relief. Some antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen or diclofenac will be able to help relief you from the soreness or pain.
If the infection persist for more than 2 more days, just go to a doctor as soon as you can for examination and provision of appropriate medications.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah