Smoking while pregnant. Will it harm my baby ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Smoking during pregnancy is not only harmful for you but is also harmful for your baby.
When you smoke during pregnancy, your baby is exposed to XXXXXXX chemicals like nicotine, carbon monoxide. These chemicals can lessen the amount of oxygen that your baby gets. Oxygen is very important for helping your baby grow healthy. Smoking can also damage your baby's lungs.
If the smoking is continued throughout the pregnancy it can cause birth defects such as cleft lip or palate, prematurity, low birth weight baby, etc.
At six weeks pregnancy, the damage is minimum as the exposure is very less.
You need to quit smoking as soon as possible for a healthy baby.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.