Smoking marijuana frequently. Experience cognitive, memory and breathing problems. What should I do?

I used to smoke marijuana frequently until I began having very bad experiences. When I would smoke my head would overheat and become extremely warm to the touch. Along with this, I also sometimes would forget to breathe to the point where I would snap myself out of it with a gasp for air. I now experience cognitive, memory, and breathing problems. I often find myself with my mouth clenched closed forgetting to breathe and cannot function in stressful situations. I am worried I have done permanent damage to my brain, what can I do at this point?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 14 hours later

The symptoms are suggestive of marijuana toxicity. The damage done cannot be assessed without testing and proper assessment by the expert.

You need to be free from this habit. While stopping it, there is a possibility of aggravation of symptoms and thus you must seek a help of a doctor before stopping marijuana. It is prudent to XXXXXXX an Addiction medicine specialist who can carefully treat you from here. Please do not delay. You can register at the Group therapy program in your area. I am sure the specialist can assist you. This can brighten the chances of early de addiction and return to normalcy.

Most of symptoms of cognitive and memory impairment are likely to improve after few months of stopping this habit.