Smoking from long time. Made up mind to quit but suffering from chest pain. Coughing blood. What could it be?

Pulmonologist
Question
actually i want to ask that from past 6 years i am a chain smoker..smoking 8-9 ciggrates per day..i tried to quit it many times also but was unable to do so,further some time i suffer with little chest pain,some time i.e 3-4 time till now blood came in cough also,generally i cough black cough most of the time..whta shoul i do??can u help me by telling that which disease symptom is this
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You seem to be having smoker's cough

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Being a chain smoker, you are at a high risk of developing COPD. The cough ans streaky hemoptysis require you to visit a Pulmonologist at the earliest.

2. For the chest pain, also get an ECG done and visit your doctor regarding the same to rule out any heart related problem (eg. IHD).

3. Investigations required would be: Chest Xray, (probably CT thorax) and pulmonary function tests.

4. If COPD /chronic bronchitis is diagnosed, you need to be initiated on inhalers and certain oral medications.

5. Thus visit a pulmonologist at the earliest.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Smoking from long time. Made up mind to quit but suffering from chest pain. Coughing blood. What could it be? 7 hours later
i would like to ask 1 thing is there any chances of Lungs cancer??

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung cancer is less likely currently

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

1. Currently investigations like Xray chest, hrct scan thorax, sputum examination, ECG and PFT are required.

2. Based on your symptoms lung cancer seem to be less likely but being a smoker you are at an increased risk of lung cancer compared to non smokers. As per studies, " persistent smokers have a 16-fold elevated lung cancer risk". More specifically it is related to your smoking index i.e. Number of cigarettes smoked per day x number of years of smoking habbit.

3. You need to get your evaluation done in consultation with a Pulmonologist at the earliest.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist