Ask a Dentist   »  

Smoking cigarettes, dry tongue, red bumps on back of tongue, white and clumpy tongue. What could this be?

Hello. I am a healthy person. I take care of myself, although I do smoke cigarettes. I smoke about 3 -4 a day if that. I am experiencing dry tongue, two red bumps on the back of my tongue. Also, My tounge is white and clumpy towards the back of the tongue. The front of my tongue has a smoother white look to it. I have been experiencing this for 6 days. My throat was dry for the first three days but has since felt fine. I have rinsed my mouth with baking soda and water. I also have place coconut oil on my tongue as well for the past 2 days. Since I have used the baking soda and coconut oil, my tongue feels more dry. Other than that I do not feel any discomfort. What could this be. Should I see a doctor or could I take care of this with home remedies? My fiance has been experiencing a dry scratchy throat for the past three weeks. About a month ago he had thrush. He received an antifungal medicine from doctor. He has seen a doctor for his recent discomfot and they have not discovered the cause yet. They have ran blood tests but we have not heard the results yet. Could I have caught something from him? If so what does it sound like?
Thank You.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from a upper throat in the early prodromal phase. I advice you not to use baking soda or coconut oil. You could use regular warm salt water to gargle, better of would be a betadine gargle but it tastes bad. To take care of the dryness of the throat I would advice you chewable Vit
C tablets three times a day. If you develop fever please see a doctor for examination.
It is unlikely that this could be an oral thrush so don't worry about that.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further ones please accept my answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Smoking cigarettes, dry tongue, red bumps on back of tongue, white and clumpy tongue. What could this be? 22 hours later
Hi! Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

I am happy i was of help to you