Smoking 6 cigarettes, over 4 days, single episode. Chance of permanent damage ?

Just smoking 6 cigarettes over 4 days recently. This is a single episode and no history of smoking or recreational drug use whatsoever. Will this cause any permanent damage to my body? I plan to stop right now, and even if I inhaled the cigarette smoke deeply during those four days, will it affect the extent of permanent damage to my body within just this episode? Thanks. Profile: Male, 28.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 14 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

First I would like to congratulate you on your decision to quit smoking. Smoking cigarettes causes various harmful chemicals to enter the body which cause gradual damage to lungs and leads to various diseases and cancers in the long run.

Since you have explained that this is the first time you had smoked and for a shorter duration, it would not cause any permanent damage to the lungs or other organs. It can be taken just an episode of exposure to the harmful chemicals. "Just stick to the decision of not smoking".

Some suggestions:
1. Do some form of exercise or go for a brisk walk daily so that fresh air enters the lungs.
2. Have healthy diet as fresh fruits,salads etc.
3. Do not take unnecessary stress.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.