Smoker, taking flax seed oil, red meat. Exercise daily. Have hypothyroidism. Normal to have high cholesterol?

Hi I am a 37 year old female, I weight 139 lbs, my cholesterol is 202, LDL 132. I exercise regularly and eat well, unfortunately I do smoke but keep it to under a 1/2 pack a day and want to quit but I'am having difficulties, I am scared that I am at risk for a heart attack/ stroke. I for take flax seed oil every day and my red meat intake is very minimal. I also have hypothyroidism I take 12.5 mcg a day and my thyroid is under control. Are these levels reason to have major concerns?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

Having a cholesterol of 202 in your case is not particularly worrisome. The LDL of 132 is right about where we would want it to be. one additional question I have for you is that I wonder what you're HDL cholesterol is. Having a good or high HDL can actually be beneficial for you. I suspect that they might have checked this as well.

It is absolutely important that you consider doing your best to quit smoking. There are several medications available now which might be able to provide you with an additional therapeutic choice.

Also regular exercise at least three or four days per week will certainly provide a long-term benefit for you.

Again I am not concerned that you're dealing with a cholesterol level that needs to be treated. I would advise that you keep checking it perhaps once per year in the future. The last recommendation of quitting smoking is something I will not hesitate to address.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert